Monday 15 October 2012

Slight detour...


Now, in a slight detour from the usual musings of this blogger, I wanted to write a slightly different blog post inspired by a charity my school is supporting this year. Plan is a children’s charity that tries to enable children in the poorest countries of the world to create a better future for themselves. One campaign they are currently running is called ‘Because I am a Girl’ and is based upon the fact that ‘one in three girls around the world is denied an education by the daily realities of poverty, conflict and discrimination.’ Going to an all-girls school I cannot comprehend this number, and that in some countries, girls are forbidden to go to school because someone else has decided that they shouldn’t be there. An educated girl is less likely to marry and have children while she is still a child themselves; is more likely to be literate, healthy and survive into adulthood, as are her children; is more likely to reinvest her income back into her family, community and country. Plan’s Because I am a Girl campaign aims to support 4 million girls to stay in education and fulfil their potential.
I thought this campaign is an amazing one and about a problem I never even knew about prior to my school becoming involved in fundraising. Here’s the link to Plan’s website.
I urge you all to check it out and spread the word – recently a 14 year old girl in Pakistan called Malala Yousafzai, is being brought to the UK, after being shot by the Taliban for blogging about her fight for education for herself and other girls like her in Pakistan. The Taliban, who accuse the young activist of "promoting secularism", have said they will target her again. The fact that she’s a blogger shocked me more than anything, that someone two years younger than me was shot for doing something she loved, something I love doing. For all you bloggers out there, it made me think, and I hope you will think about checking out Plan’s website.

Love, peace and chocolate,

Curly Cutie xxx

                                                 Twitter / Tumblr / Instagram / YouTube