As you are (almost 100%) sure, Christmas is fast approaching and so I thought I'd make some mince pie, and this recipe is taken from Nigella Lawson's 'How to be a domestic goddess' cookery book.
1. Measure out the flour into a shallow bowl and add the butter (diced small.) Combine with your hands then put in the freezer for 20 minutes.
2. Juice the orange and put in the fridge.
3. Put the butter and flour mix into a mixer (I used a blender) and blitz until the mix looks like porridge oats (crumb-like) and is starting to come together. Add some orange juice, but not too much, until it comes together in a dough.
4. You can put the dough into the fridge for 20 minutes, but I just rolled it out straight away and it was fine.
5. Roll out the dough and cut out 12 circle and 12 stars (these are star-topped mince pies!)
6. Place the circles in a muffin/cake tin (doesn't have to be buttered) then place a teaspoon of mincemeat on top of each circle, then press on the corners of the star to make sure it stays on the pie.
7. Glaze with the beaten egg (if you fancy it) and then pop in the oven at 220 degrees for 10-15 mins until they look lovely and golden brown, as seen below! If you don't glaze the pies they will look a little lighter than this when they're done!